Key laws and policies
Egypt regulates ART through decree no. 238/2003 of the Ministry of Health and Population on Professional Ethics Regulations.
Religious statements are also important.
- Surrogacy is not permitted.
- The use of donor eggs is not permitted.
Permitted and regulated practices
- Assisted reproduction is permitted for married couples using the husband's sperm.
Pre-Implantation Genetic Diagnosis
- PGD is allowed.
Research Involving Human Embryos
- Research on embryos permitted up to 14 days.
- International Federation of Fertility Societies, IFFS Surveillance 2013, at https://c.ymcdn.com/sites/iffs.site-ym.com/resource/resmgr/iffs_surveillance_09-19-13.pdf.
- MC Inhorn and ZB Gurtin, Infertility and Assisted Reproduction in the Muslim Middle East: Social, Religious and Resource Considerations, ObGyn 2012, available at http://www.fvvo.be/assets/265/04-Inhornetal.pdf.
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation, Cairo Office, "Ethics and the Law in Biomedicine and Genetics: An Overview of National Regulations in the Arab States," 2011.